A Typesetter plays an essential role in the professional presentation of text for printed publications. While the skills required are similar to a graphic designer, a Typesetter focuses primarily on text and typography, mainly operating with a desktop publishing program.
Typesetters usually work within publishing houses, newspapers, magazines, and commercial printing companies. Typesetters receive unformatted text files, which they format according to style guides and with editorial direction. The Typesetter's work must result in consistently presented, readable and aesthetically cohesive manner.
- liaise with graphic designers to ensure that text and imagery are complimentary
- follow style guides to ensure text meets the aesthetic guidelines of the publication
- receive text that requires formatting for print
- understand copyediting and proofreading markups
- have a thorough knowledge of fonts and typography
IS MY CV can help you create an outstanding Typesetter, cover letter and resume. You might also be interested in our profile of marketing jobs.