Bookstore Retail Salespeople will be expected to have a good knowledge of authors and popular subjects and book titles. While they will not be expected to have read every book in the store, a working knowledge of literary genres and a good degree of literacy will be required.
Retail Salespeople in bookstores may have the following responsibilities
- ensuring customers are aware of new releases
- educating customers on different editions (updated versions)
- advise students on appropriate and relevant textbooks for their particular studies
- inform customers of new offers, loyalty schemes and discounts
- monitor stock inventories, ordering new titles or checking for copies at other stores
- stocking bookshelves or locating books for customers, possibly with the use of a ladder
The Salespeople may be involved in visual displays to enhance certain products or express a seasonal theme. Additionally, they must have cash-handling and good computer skills.