Advertising Account Executives are the link between the agency they represent and the client who requires products or services.
Account Executives communicate with the agency’s multiple departments, including copywriting, art direction and web programmers, to create effective advertising campaigns for their client. Usually, Account Executives are supervised by Agency Managers.
An Account Executive must be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment where they must constantly update their knowledge and skills in advertising and communication technologies. They will also be expected to gain product, industry, competitor and market knowledge, and write convincing proposals in order to win client contracts.
An Account Executive takes on the following process:
- establishes target market and engages in research of this market
- collaborates with creative department to establish concepts and campaign ideas
- drafts a plan, including budgeting and time specifications
- negotiates any amendments or considerations with client
- may contract third party suppliers or service providers to assist in carrying out the campaign
Most Account Executives will have qualifications in marketing, advertising or business administration, however there is also the potential to enter this occupation via traineeships and through relevant experience.